Monday, July 16, 2018

Acclimate



Today marks 2 months since I arrived in Panama. Much to my surprise and delight, I noticed yesterday that my body has become acclimated to the environment here. I don’t sweat as much and the heat doesn’t slow me down like it did when I got here. The environment hasn’t changed. In fact, it never changes here at 8N latitude. Every day is around 80-90% RH and the temperature ranges from 85F in the day to 75F at night. Every day. The only change since my arrival has been the rain, which has increased significantly, with a corresponding increase in mud. Not only has my body adjusted, but I’ve learned to plan my day around the rain and the brutal noon sun, as much as possible
Weather is not the only thing that requires acclimating in a rural 3rd world area like Torti.  It took me a few weeks to adjust to the pace. I can’t just jump in my car and go and do. I walk 15 min to the Pan Am Hwy and wait. And wait. Sometimes I get lucky and get a taxi or bus headed to Torti or Ipeti in 10-15 minutes. Or I might wait over 2 hours, if passing buses are full. But, I’ve learned to use the time planning projects and making notes. Or just looking around and seeing all the little worlds around me, or listening to the teak forest across the highway.
The internet took some acclimating, as well. Instead of lightning fast cable in Florida, I have a USB stick. I’m right on the edge of 3G coverage, so it comes and goes. When I see that blue light come on, time to drop what I’m doing and upload photos to my blog or Facebook, since the only thing I can do at 2G is email – with no big attachments. Even at 3G, a single photo can take 5 minutes to upload. So, I pop away from the keyboard and cook or clean or just take a few swings in the hammock. I’m grateful to have service at all, since many Peace Corps locations here have neither phone nor data coverage.
My diet has made adjustments, too. No more easy trips to the Publix to get whatever I want. I eat whatever fruits and vegetables are offered in the market. Very little meat – well, if you saw the meat counter you’d understand. Lots of brown rice and lentils, a) because they are readily available and b) because I really like them.
They say that the main reason that humans have thrived on the planet is their uncanny ability to adapt to many different environments. I know that adaptation and acclimation are key to enjoying any new environment. If you are unwilling to change your routine…. Stay home.










No comments:

Post a Comment